Sunday, July 20, 2008

Corn Thoughts

So, on Thursday evening I attended the Seane Corn vinyasa class at Cityoga. Sometimes an event or a person is hyped so much that the reality is a bit of a disappointment. I'm happy to report that this was not the case. It's clear why Seane is such a popular and in-demand instructor. Her passion for using her yoga practice as a means of service to mankind is infectious. The theme for this class was Living Like You Mean It, sort of a riff on my favorite Gandhi quote, "Be the change you want to see in the world." The entire practice was a spirit-charging call to arms to live life with authenticity and passion, and to let go of all of the stories and narratives that we tell ourselves which keep us from living our lives fully and free from darkness and suffering. Approach life from a standpoint of love and service, and make the embodiment of those principles our practice, starting with treating ourselves with compassion (a favorite theme of mine). Remembering always that we are human, and we'll fail, but that we can pick ourselves back up, dust ourselves off and try again. That, like our yoga, our life is practice, not perfection.

The asana portion of the class was very intense. She gives very clear instruction, and works every part of your body and spirit. She's also very funny and down-to-earth. She masterfully weaves the theme of her class into the physical practice, something that I am slowly learning to do. She highlighted some poses (like chaturanga dandasana) by workshopping them and being very precise about which muscle engagements we were working with. The class was packed (which reminded me so much of NY classes), and the energy in the room was amazing. I was sweating heavily by 15 minutes into the practice, partly because of the heat generated by the students, partly due to the long holds that she employs. While none of the poses were too crazy or advanced, the sequencing and holds made for a very challenging, demanding practice. Toxins were pouring out of me, and at one point Seane suggested that I turn my mat over so that I didn't slip. Fortunately I had my YogiToes mat in my bag, so I took an opportunity to go get it. I had wanted to do the entire class, but had to take a couple of breaks, once to use the bathroom during Dhanurasana, and once during a twisting series due to the results of some poor dietary choices (I'll spare everyone the gross details).

As I posted earlier, there is a reason why many of these instructors are so popular and in-demand. Not only are they master practitioners, but they also let their practice inform all areas of their lives. Their insights come from years of practice and study. They embody the meaning of the word "yoga" in the way that they unite their practice and their lives, creating a very authentic, organic approach to each, because at some point there ceases to be a separation. Life and practice become one.

I look forward to taking more of Seane's classes in the future, and also look forward to taking classes from other teachers coming through town. Stay tuned for info about other in-coming teachers!

3 comments:

Susan Baggarly said...

Namaste' Yogi Bryant
I too felt the spiritual gift that Sean Corn gave on Thursday! This is my third year with her and I have been totally inspired and have hopes. I remember the room was hotter last year and it was devilish hot and she said as the sweat trinkled down our face, "Do you taste your toxins?" It was very rebuking and convicting.
So this year I am still dealing with my breakup with my mate, which happen in October of last year. It is intresting that Sean just knows exactly what to say to convict you. She repeatedly said, "When are you gonna let go of the story?" "Let it go and be free frome the titles.
Also what was truly funny was how Nikki Meyers, Cityoga owner, travels with Sean and then Nikki huffing and puffing with us through the journey. What humiliation! I say it is ok to see yourself down and up because then you realize you are human. Eric I really have to say my mind shifted towards you often because I think of you as one of the most inspiring teachers in Indianapolis. I thought Damn he is tall. Great to see you pratice and I am very glad you are in my path. Love you Bro, Namaste' hittne the BED!

Susan Baggarly said...

YOGINI LATENIA LATIN

anich said...

We share a favorite quote! That one from Ghandi has become my mantra for dealing with a difficult work environment. Isn't it interesting how when you change the energy you send out into the world, the energy that comes back to you is transformed as well. Such a simple concept...why is it so hard to live?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I always enjoy your musings.