Thursday, November 13, 2008

What's the appeal?

I often wonder...what is it that draws people to yoga? I'm sure each of your reasons would be unique. Are you looking to be challenged physically, mentally and spiritually? Or do you get enough of a challenge in your everyday life, and just want a place that is a happy and peaceful refuge?

Is it the workout? If it's just the physical aspect, then why yoga?

Is it the spiritual aspect? If so, then why not go to a more traditional house of worship?

Is it the sense of community? Why not volunteer?

What is it that keeps YOU coming to class?

2 comments:

anich said...

For me, the answer is in your questions. I practice yoga for all these reasons, and I also do or have done the alternative activities you suggested.

What is different about yoga is that this one practice can serve all these needs. It is a dynamic, just like my life is dynamic. Some days I really need a good physical workout and others I need to heal from an injury, illness, or fatigue. Some days I need to find some inner peace and others I need to confront the patterns and behaviors I need to change. Some days I need to retreat deep inside myself for a while and others I need to absorb the energy of a room full of people.

On any given day, I can find a yoga class to address whatever it is I need. I've not experienced any other single activity that is all these things to me.

Schovillova said...

My body craves the practice of yoga, as well as my mind. Usually the crazier life gets, the more I need it - not very original, I know. I'm terrible at meditating, admittedly so. But what I've learned to do is to mentally block the outside world - for the duration of the class - and tune into my body, focus on the breath, and combine the 2. for me, that's yoga. And maybe that's my own form of meditation because altho my mind is still active and busy, it's also focused and centered which in turn makes me focused and centered.

Eric I don't get in to class nearly as much as I need/want to and I'm trying to get better. But when I'm there, I'm really really there and it's always so worth it. So thank you.

This sounds corny but for me, yoga is my 'house of worship' of late. It's where I can just be.